Warner Bros refutes Dark Knight Rises audio tweak

Claims no new mix has been sent out

Yesterday we reported that Christopher Nolan had listened to the widespread complaints over sound issues with The Dark Knight Rises prologue and had issued a new audio mix to participating cinemas. However, Warner Bros are now claiming that no such tweak was ever made…

Collider are reporting that their source’s information was incorrect, after Warner Bros contacted the site to say that their original story was entirely untrue.

The confusion appears to have arisen over the fact that some IMAX cinemas were given a digital file to play on an analogue system. Furthermore, Warner is at pains to point out that this digital delivery would not have altered any background noise, or indeed, Bane’s delivery.

Warner’s anxiety to clear up the misunderstanding is probably due to a fear of annoying Nolan, who had hitherto been clear that he had no intentions of tinkering with Bane’s dialogue.

In any case, the long and the short of it seems to be that the way we heard Bane’s lines in the prologue will be the way we here them in the finished article. Remember to pack your ear trumpet when The Dark Knight Rises arrives in UK cinemas on 20 July 2012.

Would muffled dialogue put you off seeing Nolan's final bat-pic? Tell us, below.

Comments

• chaosdefined

Jan 4th 2012, 11:51

I'm really hoping it turns out to be better in the full movie, because Prologue really disappointed me. Bane's dialogue was difficult enough to make out, especially words with an S in them, but his accent just sounded ridiculous. Gotta admit, when I was reading the comics, I never imagined Bane as having a cartoon Moriarty style voice...

• RavenDarkHeart

Jan 4th 2012, 11:59

Thought Bane was supposed to have a South American accent, doesnt really make any difference what the accent is if you cant hear what he's saying in the first place tho....

• SiMan

Jan 4th 2012, 14:30

Is the prologue gonna be officially released on the web? I remember the bank heist from TDK popping up on some movie trailer websites evetually (i occasionally watch it on my lunch break), but can't remember if that was after the film was released or not.

• chaosdefined

Jan 4th 2012, 17:32

@RavenDarkHeart Bane was of British descent, he was born in a Caribbean prison and grew up inside it after his father escapred and the guards decided to keep young Bane prisoner. It could then be argued that since he grew up around the South American prisoners and guards that's why he had a similar accent to them. Although he was a part of a Government project for testing out a new steroid syrum called Venom, which gave him the massive body and strength, and why he always carried around the tanks of it. Not sure I like them changing it to being an anaesthetic because his body is in crippling pain...

• aestheticallyme

Jan 4th 2012, 17:42

I think there have been hours of wasted breath and column space on this to be honest. I've seen the trailers and the prologue and think Bane is totally understandable yes there are the odd words that slip away but anyone with a bit of knowledge of the english language can fill them in, even so it's the same as any foreign star speaking english their accent blocks some words, where as bane's mask will which is exactly why it's going to be a bit distorted because he's speaking through a mask. After the uproar online I thought it was going to be impossible to understand the way people whining but after hearing it I have no idea what people are going on about. Lazy ears must be a common occurrence in the world today. Bane is much more understandable than Batman's growling in 'The Dark Knight'! I think everyone just likes to make a fuss and instead of causing a moral panic about it they should just pay more attention. I think it's remarkable that anyone would suggest there is a problem with his voice. I don't see......well 'hear' the problem. But then maybe I have the hearing of a bat?? ..................who knows................................

• chaosdefined

Jan 4th 2012, 18:09

I was wondering how long it'd be before the self-important "Well I understand it" posts came in. Seriously, that's so amazing for you. You must be so proud. We're all so jealous. /sarcasm.

• aleks989

Jan 4th 2012, 20:53

I must say I have seen a bootleg version of the prologue and I could hear almost everything that Bane said, however the final product will be completely powerful and I have no doubt in Nolan about anything, he is a master storyteller and everything will be perfect. In Nolan I trust.

• StevePotter

Jan 4th 2012, 20:59

Whatever. You can either live in dread or just not worry about it.

• aestheticallyme

Jan 4th 2012, 21:33

oh yes it was a totally self-important comment and has nothing to do with the film itself it's all about me. brilliant you figured me out - shame on me................... In Nolan We Trust

• joker16

Jan 4th 2012, 23:06

Ok, allow me to tell everyone how it is.... some people are able to understand Bane better than others. That doesn't mean that people who can't have "lazy ears." I have pretty good hearing but I had to replay that line in the trailer a couple of times before I could totally make out what he was saying. In Dalidab We Doubt!

• joker16

Jan 5th 2012, 2:56

When Dalidab thinks of small children: …………………...„„-~^^~„-„„_ ………………„-^*'' : : „'' : : : : *-„ …………..„-* : : :„„--/ : : : : : : : '\ …………./ : : „-* . .| : : : : : : : : '| ……….../ : „-* . . . | : : : : : : : : | ………...\„-* . . . . .| : : : : : : : :'| ……….../ . . . . . . '| : : : : : : : :| ……..../ . . . . . . . .'\ : : : : : : : | ……../ . . . . . . . . . .\ : : : : : : :| ……./ . . . . . . . . . . . '\ : : : : : / ….../ . . . . . . . . . . . . . *-„„„„-*' ….'/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . '| …/ . . . . . . . ./ . . . . . . .| ../ . . . . . . . .'/ . . . . . . .'| ./ . . . . . . . . / . . . . . . .'| '/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .'| '| . . . . . \ . . . . . . . . . .| '| . . . . . . \„_^- „ . . . . .'| '| . . . . . . . . .'\ .\ ./ '/ . | | .\ . . . . . . . . . \ .'' / . '| | . . . . . . . . . . / .'/ . . .| | . . . . . . .| . . / ./ ./ . .|

• chaosdefined

Jan 5th 2012, 10:08

It was self important because you didn't just say "I could hear it ok." you had to go on about how everyone else isn't listening properly. I do find Nolan fanboys amusing though, because they will vehemently argue that Nolan's Batman films are perfect and amazing, whereas Batman fanboys will argue about how much has been changed or left out from the source material. Bane is a perfect example of where the two groups clash.

• writerdave87

Jan 5th 2012, 20:22

Dalidab 48 hours ago you were telling Joker how happy you'd be if he died. I think it's safe to say, he's not going to be nice to you. And what the f**k does Sparta have to do with anything? Did you forget your meds? lol.

• writerdave87

Jan 6th 2012, 3:40

Well that would be because you're a unpleasant rude little paedophile Dalidab, but don't worry. On topic, I can't work out if you're joking or if you're genuinely stupid enough to think that's what they're saying? Why 'this is sparta'?

• JamieTSB

Jan 6th 2012, 10:30

Can we plaesa keep this forym for the discussion of movies and not for the puerile insulting of one another. It is degrading to yourselves, and offensive to others, now grow up the lot of you.

• JamieTSB

Jan 6th 2012, 10:36

However, with regards to the movie, I just feel that as cinema is an audio visual medium, then surely it is in everybody's interest for sounds to be heard clearly and pictures to be seen clearly (unless you are remaking clash of the titans in 'super-murkyvision'). Although, this is a directors vision, so really it is up to him and the studio as to how they want the film to be seen...or heard.

• SixStepSamurai

Jan 6th 2012, 13:19

Dalidab, why the fack would the prisoners be chanting 'This is Sparta' for?

• writerdave87

Jan 6th 2012, 17:43

Sorry Jamie but feel I have to respond to that. I've never had a problem with Dalidab being gay (would be slightly hypocritical if I did), I've only had a problem with him talking about how much he wants to sleep with underage teenage celebrities. I would treat him exactly the same if he was a straight man of his age talking about girls of their age in the same terms. He's dialled it down a bit these days but he was genuinely extremely creepy and rapey for a while. Also, Dalidab I knew you were a moron but I genuinely am speechless that you actually thought they were chanting 'This is Sparta'. PMSL!

• JamieTSB

Jan 6th 2012, 18:40

Fair enough Dave, I see your point, he is a moron, but he seems to thrive on people rising to his bait. If we ignore him he might just go away. I just get a little irritated when all forms of sensible movie discussion evaporate due to one childish individual who just needs to be the centre of attention. Your point is well made and understood, and agreed with entirely.

• writerdave87

Jan 6th 2012, 19:21

And I agree with your point wholeheartedly myself :) Am proper stoked for Dark Knight rises now though!

• MyHPotter78

Jan 9th 2012, 11:57

No it won't put me off the dark knight rises coz i'm a huge fan of Chris Nolan an i've found out that it doesn't matter if you don't understand it, the visuals is enough (Inception and Memento a bit as well)