Watch a new scene from the extended cut of The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug

Bridge over troubled water

The first details have emerged regarding the extended version of The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug, including the release of a new scene from the director’s cut of the film.

The extended home entertainment release will include a whopping 25 minutes of additional footage, nearly double the 13 minutes added on to the extended version of the first film.

The new clip on show here picks up with Thorin’s company attempting to cross a treacherous-looking stream, with Bilbo having to lead the way as the smallest, and theoretically, most nimble…

Take a look at the new scene, below…

Perhaps not the most essential sequence then, but the extended versions have always been about creating a more immersive overall experience, as opposed to restoring particularly standout scenes.

Packing in some nine hours of special features alongside the lengthy cut of the film, The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Extended Edition will go on sale in the UK later this year.

What do you think of the new scene? Tell us, below!

Comments

• jonezora

Aug 6th 2014, 8:45

/my best friend's sister makes $64 every hour on the laptop . She has been out of a job for eight months but last month her check was $12781 just working on the laptop for a few hours. check this site.............. P­a­y­r­a­­p.C­o­­­m

• Seedorf

Aug 6th 2014, 10:28

These extended versions are nothing more than a cash grab, or another cash grab, you could say. Add in an extra few minutes that make no difference to the feel of a film which is already too bloated as it is. LotR, was great and was in my opinion, certainly improved by the extended editions.

• apo1978

Aug 6th 2014, 12:46

I loved the LOTR Extended editions and really looking forward to this also. Another 25 minutes in Middle-Earth is a-ok with me :)

• garyu2

Aug 6th 2014, 19:44

We better get used to the phrase "extended" when it comes to these movies (utter twoddle - 3 hours of it at a time, too!)

• GarthMarenghi

Aug 6th 2014, 22:13

I've really enjoyed these films so far, and feel a lot of people had already decided to complain that they were bloated and indulgent before they'd even been released. Not up to the standard of Lord Of The Rings, admittedly, but still very entertaining and well-crafted in my view. I won't buy any of these individual releases though, as you know for a fact once the last Hobbit movie is out there will be a big boxed set with all 6 extended movies in it (which is why I've held off getting the Rings trilogy on blu-ray up to this point). I was kind of hoping by the time that happened we'd all have 4K Ultra-Blu-ray players in our homes, but it seems like manufacturers of physical media are kind of waving the white flag and letting Netflix and Amazon win with their vision of a streaming-only future. Shame.

Aug 6th 2014, 22:59

The Unexpected Journey extended edition was worth every penny simply for the extras alone. I was delighted with that purchase and I can't wait to buy the Smaug extended edition. Garth is right, people made up their minds the day they decided to turn it into a trilogy, it's their loss because The Hobbit films have been highly entertaining.

• apo1978

Aug 7th 2014, 12:44

Couldn't agree more Ali. I schwing to your comment!

Aug 7th 2014, 15:20

Why you're making me blush sir ;-p