Watchmen Director’s Cut DVD will be 25 mins longer

But no sign of the “ultimate” cut yet…

If you watched the Watchmen credits roll while thinking, “I really wanted to watch more of those Watchmen, I wonder when the extra footage Zack Snyder promised will arrive”, prepare to get your answer.

A new, director’s cut of the movie is arriving Stateside on DVD and Blu-Ray on 21st July, which will feature an additional 25 minutes of footage, including Hollis Mason’s death and lots more Rorschach.

But while the special edition DVD and Blu-Ray will come stacked with features, it seems we’ll have to wait a while longer for the complete cut that Snyder has been promising.

Those who want to see Snyder’s master version – with Tales From The Black Freighter anime footage edited into a complete cut of the film itself – will have to wait a while longer, since the director has said that it won’t arrive until later this year or early the next.

Oh, and those on a budget might be interested in the extras-free theatrical cut.

Meanwhile, why don’t you comfort yourself with the knowledge that the Blu-Ray disc at least has some Facebook gadget that allows you to connect with friends and run screenings. Or something. We’re not sure we care.

Meanwhile, back to counting the minutes until the huge, footage stocked final cut…

[Source: The Hot Blog]

Which version of Watchmen on DVD will you buy? Would you really buy all of them?

Comments

• Spikemonkey3000

May 13th 2009, 7:32

Is this 25-minute longer cut being released in the UK, and is it in fact the 2-Disc Special Edition that's coming out on the 27th July? I'm so confused about this whole various cuts on DVDs etc. - It would just seem mightily unfair if UK fans only got a theatrical cut release...

• Buried At Sea

May 13th 2009, 8:08

i think i'll wait for the ultimate version and use my hench HMV employee discount :D

• paddydebeast

May 13th 2009, 12:54

Is there one with A HUGE FRICKIN GIANT SQUID IN IT???!!!!!!

• scabo33

May 13th 2009, 15:22

Mid september for Uk and ireland!... Imagine it on Blue ray... oooooooooooooooh :) and then.... A HUGE FRICKIN SQUID APPEARS!!!! :L:L

• sutty

May 13th 2009, 20:50

September is waaaaay to long to wait for a blu ray huge frickin squid!

• asfm1

May 13th 2009, 23:36

I love Watchmen, but I've seen the theatrical version three times now and I don't feel like I need to see any version of the film for a good long while. I'm really interested in the bluray extras that aren't making it into the dvd version, but even so, I'll probably wait for the mega bluray.

• Bojangles17

May 14th 2009, 10:25

Dudes, you will not get a squid. The squid wasn't in the script at any point from the start of production and they didn't even approach the idea, at least not whilst Snyder was on board. It still breaks my heart to acknowledge it but there is no squid.

• Aureleon

May 15th 2009, 16:11

There are always new movies to see, I saw Watchmen in the theaters 3 times so I´ll probably wait until the ultimate or director´s or super - cut arrives on Blu-Ray, I can afford to wait another year.