Wes Craven talks Scream 5

Fifth and sixth films planned out

There will be a Scream 5 according to director Wes Craven, despite a disappointing box office performance for Scream 4

"Yes. The odds are that there will be [a Scream 5]. It is something that Bob Weinstein wants to do. He tends to do what he wants to do. So I am inclined to think that there will be [another sequel]. Whether I will be a part of it or not? I don't know. My contract gives me the first look. If they show me something that is really wonderful? Of course I will be a part of it," Craven told Movieweb.

The director also confirmed that Scream 4 was supposed to be the beginning of a new trilogy for the franchise: “Going into [Scream 4], the first meeting I had with Kevin Williamson he did sketch out a Scream 5 and 6. The idea was that we were doing the first in a new trilogy. We had to wait to see if we made enough money on each film to make the next one viable. If that happens, those two will come up with the concepts and an idea that is worth fulfilling."

So does the end of Scream 4 point to where the fifth film will go?

"I'd have to kill you if I told you. It's better to have an ending where you can't tell where it's going to go next than to have an ending where you go, 'Oh, that is the hook for the sequel. That is the hook for the next one.' We felt it was better to let the audience speculate than to have all of these clues placed in their lap. It's not a matter of not being smart enough. We're clever at this, let's just put it that way," he said.

Scream 5 and 6 on your wish lists? Or does this news make you want to... vomit (you thought we were going to say scream, didn't you?). Get vocal in the comments below!

Comments

• deedeedragons

Sep 30th 2011, 1:30

Yes! Scream 4 was a million times better than the cop out that was 3 & much more fun & interesting than all those god awful Platinum Dunes remakes.

• murphy

Sep 30th 2011, 1:38

I watched the first ten minutes of Scream 4 and had to switch it off,but if there are still fans out there they will milk this to death. I'd rather they put the effort into coming up with something new instead,horror films aren't what they used to be.

• AbAeterno

Sep 30th 2011, 6:57

If anything deserves a lasting horror legacy, it's Scream. One of the few franchises that hasn't run out of steam just yet.

• ChrisWootton

Sep 30th 2011, 9:33

First one was good.. the rest are rubbish... 5 & 6? DVD

• chaosdefined

Sep 30th 2011, 10:01

Scream has gone the way of Pirates Of The Caribbean and many others. It gets worse with each sequel. Scream 4 was the worst. It was almost a spoof of itself and the opening joke got tiring very quickly. It was also far too predictable, I had already guessed one of the killers from just watching the Trailer.

• Jrdnsans1792

Sep 30th 2011, 12:14

As a big Wes Craven fan, of course i was really excited about 'Scream 4' when i first heard about it, after watching it however i changed my mind, it was awful. One of the worst horror films to come out in recent years (apart from the painfully bad 'Paranormal Activity') and a strong contender for Craven's worst film. I left the cinema feeling bad that Craven had made such a s**t film, but also quite happy that it must surely be the end of the increasingly rubbish 'Scream' films. The fact that they are even considering making another 2 films is just ridiculous!

• garysimps

Sep 30th 2011, 12:32

never thought id say thsi but i agree with dalidab1982. the original is one of my favourites films ever, i really enjoyed 2, 3 was poor (ehren krueger is a ppor writer in my opinion) and 4 was a nice return to form but that'll do me now please. no point in 5, let alone 6; bob, be happy with the culture defining movie you made in the original and lets try and find another role for neve campbell to sink her teeth into.

• alexr

Sep 30th 2011, 13:44

I have to say that I was very nervous about watching Scream 4 - I pretty much fell in love with Neve Campbell in my late teens and I was surprised to find that crush resurfacing when I saw the trailers - so I didn't want her character Sydney to die during the film. (SPOILER ALERT) - I am so glad that she didn't, but I think any further continuance of the series must see Sydney's luck run out...this I won't want to watch...

• alexr

Sep 30th 2011, 13:47

Thinking about it though, it might be cool to have Scream 5 pick up immediately after Scream 4 - maybe something to do with a third killer that was not identified previously...or perhaps Sydney could snap and start imagining people are out to kill her thereby setting herself up as a 'killer via self defense'...or is that too dalidab for people's tastes?

• SmeefLikeBeef

Sep 30th 2011, 13:52

Four sucked, You're no longer a good filmaker, Wes, just like most from your generation- you've lost it.

• ChrisWootton

Sep 30th 2011, 14:01

Did anyone see Red Eye? Facking terrible and that Soul one he did was beyond awful

• writerdave87

Sep 30th 2011, 18:04

To be fair to Craven, it's his branchild but he doesn't actually have any stake in whether to make them or not. He didn't want to make the last one, IIRC he didn't even want to make 2 or 3! He originally intended Scream as a one-off satire, but the studios wanted more and more.

• kieranmasterton

Oct 1st 2011, 10:29

@writerdave87 Scream (originally entitled Scary Movie) was the brainchild of writer Kevin Williamson who originally intended the films to be a trilogy, while he penned all of Scream I believe he was only involved in writing the outline for 2 & 3. He also wrote 4, and seemingly intended 4 to be the first in another trilogy. Whether he will directly be involved in 5 & 6 is obviously yet to be seen. As for Craven's involvement, he was basically a hired gun he wasn't involved creatively until he stepped on set, though I understand Williamson was very keen for him to direct Scream from the outset. For my part, I see Scream as less a parody and more a love letter to the slasher movie from Williamson and Craven. While I am a huge fan of the first, 2nd and fourth films, three did leave me cold. That said, isn't it the ultimate ironic nudge and wink from them to create yet another endless line slasher of sequels? I think that was what was alluded to at the beginning of the 4th film when we saw Stab 5, 6 & 7 as films within films.

• writerdave87

Oct 1st 2011, 13:29

My bad dude, I was sure I'd read Craven was involved from the getgo.