William Fichtner is playing Shredder in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Actor confirms villain role in reboot

It's been suspected for some time, but William Fichtner has gone ahead and confirmed that he's playing Shredder in the forthcoming reboot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The ever-reliable actor admitted the villain role during an interview with Huffington Post Canada.

"I play Shredder," Fichtner told them. "It is cool. It's one of those things that came along where I thought, "Really? Let me think about this for a minute." [Laughs] Then I was like, "Yeah, OK, this sounds like a journey." I'm very glad that it worked out, I'm really glad that I'm doing it."

Fichtner is always good value, so we're chuffed to see him occupying the chief villain role. He stars alongside Megan Fox, who's playing news reporter April O'Neil, and Will Arnett, who's co-starring as her hapless cameraman, Vernon Fenwick.

Shredder is a ninjitsu master, who wears a badass helmet and has arms smothered in blades. The character is traditionally Japanese, and is a rival to the Turtles' mentor, Splinter.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is set to open in the UK on 16 May 2014, with a US release following on 6 June 2014.

Glad to see that Fichtner will be playing the big bad? Tell us below...

Comments

• marc96

Jun 22nd 2013, 19:17

YES! this is great new, this guy is always awesome.. at first I was very negative about this turtles movie being done and stamping on my childhood but with each new piece of news I'm becoming more willing to give it a chance (not saying it'll be good but im becoming more open to it)

• FLong

Jun 22nd 2013, 20:07

Funnily enough, Oroku Saki was Japanese... this is as bad as 'the Turtles are now aliens'

• smellyhands

Jun 23rd 2013, 1:24

I am completely on board with this. I have been impressed with everything Fichtner has done.

• ilikescifi

Jun 23rd 2013, 7:36

He's not Japanese, or even asian. Making us believe he's a ninjitsu master will waste valuable plot time

• marvelboy

Jun 23rd 2013, 10:39

The Mandarin wasn't Asian and look how that turned out ...

• kickback04

Jun 23rd 2013, 10:41

mom makes $75 an hour on the computer.She has been out of work for 8 months last month income was $21583 on this site >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ---- WEP6.ℂOM

• marvelboy

Jun 23rd 2013, 10:43

...But you're going to have a hard time believing he's a ninjitsu Master, but you totally believe that Mutant Turtles can become ninja - I Think we need to enter this with an open mind - or the mind we had as children growing up with this and not questioning anything

• BobTheSkull

Jun 23rd 2013, 11:01

@marvelboy, I agree. Personally I love Fichtner's work and think he'll be an awesome Shredder. If we were watching this as the first live action as kids, we wouldn't care as long as Shredder was a complete bad a*s nut job. Nobody complained - hell, even knew - that Kevin Nash played Super Shredder in Turtles 2 at the time. His face will be covered most of it. So far, this has been the only thing about the movie that has piqued my interest.

• Monkeynuts30

Jun 24th 2013, 3:14

Hey, if we can believe Bruce Wayne became a Ninjitsu master, why not another white guy? Or does Batman just get a free pass?

• crystakura

Jun 24th 2013, 9:58

Phenomenal actor... but shredder?

• ilikescifi

Jun 24th 2013, 13:14

@monkeynuts30, you're right, we believed Bruce Wayne was a ninjitsu master - but because we watched him become one. His training took up a third of the film, it was not a free pass at all. I love fichtner's work too, but when we have a story about mutated turtles becoming ninjas becasue of their mutated rat sensei, how or why a white guy became a ninjitsu master is probably going to be the weak, boring part of the story. If anything, give us an origin story about KRANG