Winona Ryder defends The Dilemma's gay insult

Exclusive: "My gay friends use that word all the time!”

Winona Ryder has discussed the controversy surrounding The Dilemma's negative use of the word 'gay' in the trailer for Ron Howard's rom-com, after Howard insisted this weekend that the line would stay in the film.

The line "electric cars are gay" was removed from early Dilemma trailers, after the use of the word in a negative context was deemed offensive, causing outcry from gay rights groups and celebrities alike.

But Ryder told Total Film: “[The controversy] is really crazy because I know the context in the scene. I didn’t even know that there was a scandal, until I went in for looping and I talked to Ron [Howard].

"You know it’s just crazy because I’m very sensitive to that issue and if I thought something was offensive I wouldn’t want to be a part of it. Plus all my gay friends use that word all the time!”

The Dilemma is released in 2011

Are you offended? Tell us below!

Comments

• marcoltuk

Nov 4th 2010, 13:33

This story is gay!

• edsnow

Nov 4th 2010, 13:35

This whole controversy is SO gay

• marcoltuk

Nov 4th 2010, 13:49

Really this whole thing is well bad and by bad I mean bad used in the context of good because it opens up debate which is sick but sick as in brilliant, not vile or offensive. Really I find nature of this story wicked, but wicked as in twisted and evil not brilliant...etc...etc...

• mattjones

Nov 4th 2010, 14:21

I know it's not what the story is about but Winona is still really hot!

• gonzoBen

Nov 4th 2010, 14:34

Ryder. Seriously, get on her back and go for a gallop.

Nov 4th 2010, 16:05

God she looks old, what is she 39?

• lacakid

Nov 4th 2010, 18:55

This happened in one of the 2 Bill & Ted's adventures where they kill a guy spit down on him and call him gay (something like that). If you were gay you were told to boycott the movie. I think if it gives just 1 (one) person a more negative light on homosexuality or a bad light on gay people then people are right, keep it out! It is never used in a postive light and if old Ronny boy can figure that out then he is a big ole homophobe! So yeah delete the line!!!! ....and Winona if your "Gay" friends call each other gay or say to each other something is gay don't you kind think that's along the lines of "Black" people calling each other "n***a"?? It's ok for people to call other people in a subculture it seems these days hate words because they of course don't mean them when they say them........ But I digress.........

• lacakid

Nov 4th 2010, 19:00

Sorry in my comment above I said: ..... old Ronny boy can figure that out then he is a big ole homophobe! So yeah delete the line!!!! I meant if: Ron Howard can't figure that out then he is a big ole homophobe! So yeah delete the line!!!! Thanks, lacakid

• BruceShark

Nov 4th 2010, 23:20

Good God, Americans find anything to moan about. Americans are so annoying special the Gay ones. Woops. Sorry, I mean the poofy ones.

• decky

Nov 5th 2010, 11:32

I agreed with winona, I'm gay, my boy friend, my gay friends and I, use the word all the time, for exanple if we dress up "too fashion" or wear too colorfull clothes, even sometimes I ask my boyfriend with my clothes choices " do I look so gay with this?". And I can say this matters become soooo drama, and too much! Or I can say : gosh this is so gay lol. .

• MeanMachine