World exclusive image of Tom Hardy as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises

Gotham’s reckoning heads up the launch of our brand new interactive iPad edition

The Dark Knight Rises is, hands down, the most anticipated film of the year.So it's fitting that the film's incendiary anarchist should help kick off our very own revolution...

What better way to launch the brand new interactive iPad edition of Total Film magazine than with an exclusive look at Tom Hardy’s monstrous villain, Bane.

The close-up image offers an unparalleled look at his freaky facewear. Part Hannibal Lector mask, part Predator mandible and wholly unlike the lycra luchador look he sported in the comic, it's destined to make the character an instant icon.

And those eyes… there’s something deeply unsettling about the manic stare Hardy’s locked in here, hinting a level of feral intensity not yet revealed in the trailers. Pray you're not caught in that line of sight...

[Click on the Bane image to see it in hi-res]

On the mask, Hardy told us: “It’s not as bad as you might think. You just put it on. Work out where you drool goes. That’s it. Mask work is good fun. This one wasn’t painful; there was the stunt mask and there was the up-close on for the sexy glam shots.”

And he also shared some startling insight into the unforgiving regime he stuck to when we asked: what was required to attain the Bane bulk? “Eating entire villages of chickens.

“When I started I was about 160-something pounds. When I was done I was 190. You lift weights. You eat. You lift some more weights. You don’t run anywhere because if you do cardio, you drop weight. So it’s really good for heart attacks!”

There’s much more from Hardy, his fellow Dark Knight Rises castmembers and director Christopher Nolan – as well as more exclusive shots - in the new issue of Total Film magazine, and the brand new interactive iPad edition.

And, in celebration of this launch, you can get the brand new interactive issue of Total Film on your iPad for the special price of £1.99 for a limited period of two weeks (regular price £3.99), so there’s no better excuse to try it out.

On top of our full Dark Knight Rises coverage, Issue 194 also features our unique look at Batman: Past, Present And Future. Our Caped Crusader celebration takes in his 73-year history, and includes unseen behind-the-scenes shots from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Read our full preview of Total Film magazine – Issue 194.

Read about the exciting new features on Total Film’s interactive iPad edition.

If you’d like to see what all the fuss is about, check out the free sampler of our interactive iPad edition from Apple Newstand.

Buy the interactive issue of Total Film from Apple Newstand – (at the discounted price of £1.99 for two weeks only!)

And if you a fan of good old-fashioned paper magazines, fear not – your regular Total Film is going nowhere! Head here to subscribe to Total Film magazine!

Download the interactive iPad edition of Total Film magazine, and tell us what you think of it!

Comments

• garyu2

May 11th 2012, 8:48

He still looks stupid. What IS that collar all about?

• nacho316

May 11th 2012, 8:57

He looks awesome pant boy!..What would you rather he founced about in spandex like a 80's wrestling luchador you d*****s

• mcghater

May 11th 2012, 9:03

what collar??? and he looks amazing.. nacho...pant boy??? i know you have better stuff in your locker let the c u n t have it both barrels

• ChrisWootton

May 11th 2012, 9:14

I'm confused.. is this the"Revolution" that has been ages in the making?

• MoodyMonkey

May 11th 2012, 9:18

Like Nacho said. i dont know why some people have their knickers in a twist that they are not getting the comic book version who varies in height between seven and nine feet tall and looks like the Hulk. that version would look ridiculous so get over it and this is coming from a devoted fan of the books. anyway awesome picture and Hardy looks ferocious!

• Chufferstud

May 11th 2012, 9:44

I am getting a little tired of people's concerns over TDKR. Why are they forgetting that this is being directed by the same man that did the last two films, that happened to be mighty fine. I appreciate none of us want it to bad, but I doubt Nolan does too and he simply won't let it be bad. If a man wearing a bat costume can look sensible in Nolan's realistic world, then why can't a hulking man with a strange mask fit in too? Have faith people, have faith :)

• Heisenberg

May 11th 2012, 11:02

They are probably the same people who said "Ledger will never match Nicholson blah blah blah", and we know how that turned out. It's probably just a case of wanting to be different, or being able to say "i told you so" with a smarmy face if it doesn't quite work. But Nolan knows what he is doing, i have 100% faith in his adaptations of Bane and Selina Kyle, and i absolutely cannot f*****g wait to watch this movie.

• wardell

May 11th 2012, 11:15

How lovely for all the ipad owners. For the rest of us, another image of Bane. Brilliant. We can all put that with the 100s of others out there. Some of them even move, they're called trailers. The film will be great I'm sure. The build-up however, is just annoying. You're still better then Empire though.

• smellyhands

May 11th 2012, 12:02

Whoa.. another image of Bane looking off to the left looking quite confused. Honestly ToatlFilm, your lead up to this film is ridiculous. I could have a flip book animation of Bane doing a 360 turn now with all these screenshots. By the time the film comes out my excitement will be waiting for me at a different movie.

• Heisenberg

May 11th 2012, 12:21

@Smelly, what the f**k do you want? Yeah its another pic of bane but so what? It doesn't give anything away and its just a cool looking pic of a badass bad guy. Were u expecting it to be a picture of Bane breaking Batmans back or something??? Do you either want all press to stop mentioning TDKR completely, or do you want them to tell you everything that happens from now on? Gotta love people who click the link to read about the TDKR build-up and then complain about there being too much build-up, brilliant.

• smellyhands

May 11th 2012, 14:03

@Heisen, lets not resort to profanity here. To answer your questions: Lots of things. Its just another pic. No. Not completely but ease up a little, and thats exactly what they are doing so no. You've slightly misunderstood my standing on this I think. Where else could I mention about this films over exposure other than where it is being over exposed. Should I express my opinion of it on something completely unrelated? The reason I clicked on the link is because the film interests me but I dont see the point in showing basically the same screenshots over and over. We all know what Bane looks like for months now. Basically I'm complaining that TotalFilm are trying to show us something new but are actually showing us the same thing over and over again. Yes the screenshot is new but the content remains the same. Its not news worthy. Also this is part of that "Revolution" they were claiming. Revolution? Where? Here? *Sad face*

• Indianabones

May 11th 2012, 14:10

I have avoided all spoilers to do with TDKR, I want to go in as blind as possible and be blown away, I have to admit to being one of those that really doubted Heath Ledger being cast in the TDK and was SO very pleased to have been completely wrong! The only thing I did for TDKR was watch The Warrior and that gave me total faith in Hardy (though a fan of his anyway, but my god he was vicious and so watchable) Anyway looks good in the pic and can't wait!

• zeike

May 11th 2012, 14:18

Is that it? you muppets

• Heisenberg

May 11th 2012, 18:03

@smelly, my apologies for my rant, i'm currently revising for exams i'm little more stressed than i thought lol, so i whole heartedly apologize to you for pretty much being an a**e. i do understand where your coming from now, but i cant agree with it. I come from the view that i love seeing these slightly different Bane pics, as it shows his awesomeness (mancrush much?) but hides the story. As for the revolution, turned out to be more than a let down eh?? lol. Maybe we should all rise up against TF!

May 11th 2012, 19:31

Apparently he will he be dubbed by Joe Pasquale.

• Mattsimus

May 11th 2012, 19:33

f*****g love this guy, ever since Bronson! He looks bad a*s and thats all there is to it, ive heard the trailer and the voice dosnt bother me, think it sounds good and ORIGINAL, if ya cant make it out then listen up!!!!! This pic is quality and im pretty sure its gonna rock, basically like everything Nolan releases. He looks so cool and he fits well in to this new Bat universe and its as real as you could make Bane without getting ridiculous. CAN NOT WAIT.......Jj**zZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz...................XMX

• smellyhands

May 11th 2012, 19:37

Exam time! Umph, say no more. Best of luck with those. Speaking of Banes awesomeness, this teaser trailer from last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Humz3ONgk It still gives me chills watching Bane emerge at the end. Batman looks pretty broken at that stage.

• Mattsimus

May 11th 2012, 20:41

Mmm Teaser not bad Smellyhands!, only thought it was ok, even when it first came out. Given that most of the footage was of TDK!...never really like the gang chanting stuff so when the 2nd Trailer (1st proper traler) started it was great and then ended with the music from the previous films I was like s**t YES!!!.......@indianabones Warrior great film, cant get enough of it...keep renting it on Love film should prob just go buy it on DVD haha......

• marc96

May 11th 2012, 20:46

loving the look of Bane & this movie.... must say though that face mask just reminds me of Dr Zoidberg, just me im sure lol . Any picture added just adds to my excitement :)

May 11th 2012, 21:25

Looks like someone has just told Bane what The Avengers is grossing at the box office.

May 11th 2012, 23:27

You know its actually Ross Kemp? Thats the twist.

• FBSHarrigan

May 12th 2012, 8:08

The costume looks pretty cool, and from the trailer he looks like he is going to be an awesome and intimidating Bane. The lack of venom is a bit jarring, but Nolan can probably handle it well. The only real problem I have with this Bane is that he seems to be coming off as a sort of religious fanatic instead of the self interested mercenary who wants to be top dog. What makes me most nervous is Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, because she is not intimidating or even particularly ominous in the trailer even though she was supposed to be. http://www.videodetective.com/movies/the-dark-knight-rises/197522

• TheEnigma

May 13th 2012, 7:43

Agree with SmellyHands, this iz hardly "World Exclusive"..! Now watch the trailer again and mentally replace every Anne Hathaway image with Megan Fox and tell me this Movie wouldn't be just 'a lil bit' more Anticipated..! (allinmyhumbleopinion)

May 13th 2012, 9:15

I don't see how a blow-up doll would improve the movie..

May 13th 2012, 17:35

People still find Megan Fox attractive ? Like Hadouken said she's transformed herself into a blow up doll.

• Mattsimus

May 19th 2012, 22:42

Hathaway is gonna surprise a lot of people, shes in the movie for a reason and Nolan knows what hes doing......keep the faith brothers!!!!......and sisters? the pic looks great, third trailer is average, the film is gonna do well....so glad avengers is doing well too! XMX

• lithium2k

Jul 25th 2012, 18:24

I am really excited for this film. I hope it serves the trilogy well. I am also saddened, naturally, with what has happened win Aurora but I refuse to let that sour my entertainment experience. Personally, I am much happier to see Anne Hathaway instead of Megan Fox. Shes not the same as she once was. A disappointment. If anyone is interested, I also stumbled upon some nice behind the scenes content for the film over at http://www.digititles.com/movies/the-dark-knight-rises-2012 Keep up the good work, I enjoyed the article.