X-Men First Class: more official images and poster released

Update: Plus new shots of Magneto and Xavier in action!

x-men first class

Hot on the heels of yesterday’s official but oddly fake-looking first promo image of the X-Men: First Class cast, three stills from the movie and a teaser poster have hit the net.

Though this flurry of activity could be seen as the film attempting to keep up with the torrent of other superhero movie news that’s been coming at us this week, First Class director Matthew Vaughn doesn’t seem too fussed about the competition.

“With Green Lantern, I don’t know about that one,” he says, “I couldn’t get my head around the trailer, to be honest … look, I will say the following: X-Men as a brand is bigger than Captain America, Thor and the Green Lantern, all put together.”

We're with him there, and the new images above and below show off the film's edgy '60s vibe. Vaughn and co definitely seem to have been watching some vintage Bond for inspiration.

A prequel to the other X movies, First Class delves into the pasts of Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr before they became Professor X and Magneto.

Check out the new images and poster below…

Update: Now Slashfilm have a couple of brand new shots of Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and Professor X in action:

Vaughn also spoke to Slashfilm about the leaked image that had hit the internet a couple of days earlier:

“I freaked out on them yesterday. I don’t know where the hell that came from. I don’t think it’s a Fox image. It’s not a pre-approved image."

"When I found out, I said, what the fuck is this shit, and Fox is running around trying to figure out what happened as well. I agree. It’s like a bad photoshop, which maybe it was by someone. It didn’t reflect the movie."

"I was shocked when I saw it. I was like ‘Jesus Christ’…"

He also went on to talk about the vintage look of the costumes: "The costumes are blue and yellow as well, because fuck it, lets take it back it the original."

"Also, by the way, those costumes are hardly in the movie. The main costumes are like these cool 60’s James Bond…”

X-Men: First Class opens in the UK on 2 June.

What do you make of the new images? Give us your verdict below...

Comments

• jimmycasino

Jan 20th 2011, 9:32

wasn't magneto's helmet supposed to be to stop xavier from using cerebro on him? does that picture come after they fell out then? looks good. like xavier's pseudo-hobo look

• KingofSpain

Jan 20th 2011, 16:22

I find it funny Eric playing chess with Xavier - surely he'll just foresee his every move? Seriously though, these images are underwhelming me the way the other Marvel snaps have so far. I hope the trailer does the film more justice, much in the way the Thor trailer did. January Jones though looks surprisingly suited to Emma Frost. Moreover, I'm a bit concerned with the quotes from Vaughan. Why is he dissing those other movies? Could it be that he not so sure about his own? Plus I'd always be worried when a director's final decision is "f**k it" on something as fundamental as wardrobe.

• nacho316

Jan 20th 2011, 16:31

No x-citement for this film whatsover think the roles of magneto and xavier have been cast wrong, but i'll maybe change my mind after a trailer but still very skeptical about it

• nacho316

Jan 20th 2011, 16:45

Holy s**t laughing my a*s of at Fassbender in that helmet pmsl, ah that does it this looks ridiculous pmsl

Jan 20th 2011, 19:43

haha I feel like I've walked passed a queue outside comic-con but fair play to McAvoy, its a long way from the Chatsworth Estate.

• bertus1

Jan 20th 2011, 20:20

That is the most awful and stupid hat I have ever seen (I must have it)

Jan 21st 2011, 1:47

I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but this looks awful, they should have just made X-Men 4 and pretend the third movie never happened.

• goldengazzy

Jan 24th 2011, 19:47

When I first heard the idea of this film I was intrigued but now I have no desire to see this. Magneto looks like a condom in that helmet, and McAvoy as Charles i thought was a mistake to begin with. I think they should have left the X-men franchise alone since none of the movies have been awe inspiring.