Zack Snyder defends Watchmen ending

Says he saved comic-book from “the Terry Gilliams of this world”

With Joel Silver putting the boot in to Zack Snyder’s Watchmenlast week, it hasn’t taken Snyder long to come out fighting, defending his film and dismissing Terry Gilliam’s abortive plans for the project.

Much of Silver’s attack was based upon criticism of the way Snyder ended the film, but according to Snyder, Gilliam’s version was too far out of leftfield…

“If you read the Gilliam ending, it's completely insane,” says Snyder. “The fans would have stormed the castle on that one. I would not have grabbed something from out of the air and said, 'Oh, here's a cool ending' just because it's cool.”

“Honestly, I made Watchmen for myself,” continues the director. “It's probably my favourite movie that I've made. And I love the graphic novel and I really love everything about the movie. I love the style."

“I just love the movie and it was a labour of love. And I made it because I knew that the studio would have made the movie anyway and they would have made it crazy. So, finally I made it to save it from the Terry Gilliams of this world.”

Five years on, then, and Watchmen remains as divisive as ever. At least Snyder’s next one won’t be likely to draw as much criticism! Oh, wait…

What do you make of Snyder's comments? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Kajsmir

Mar 5th 2014, 8:36

I think Snyder did a good job, I love his version of Watchmen.

• maxgrishkan

Mar 5th 2014, 9:12

Indeed, he did an ingenious job. And Watchmen is my favorite superhero movie, way ahead of the X2 and The Dark knight

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Mar 5th 2014, 9:45

when Snyder has 10% of Gilliam's talent, whit or imagination he may be in a position to save us. When that day comes, maybe Ill reassess Watchmen. Perhaps then it may stand up agains Brazil, Time Bandits, Munchausen, The Fisher King or even Tideland. Gilliam doesn't always make the most coherent of films but he's a risk taker and borderline genius. He, unlike Snyder, is about the whole, not just the 'style'.

• YTWhitemanson

Mar 5th 2014, 9:53

ave fortuno, for terry did not waste his time on this s**t. film away zack! instead wasting his time on a violent toon, terry created lovable dr. parnassus

• theVman

Mar 5th 2014, 11:51

I loved the Watchmen movie. I didn't have a problem with anything Snyder did. To me its one of the most faithful comic book adaptions ever. And he is right when he says Faithful, crazy, insane, the studio would have made it anyway. Maybe Gilliam would have made it better, maybe worse - we will never know. Just be glad it was made at all and to a very high standard, with a very capable director.

• BobbyTwoTimes

Mar 5th 2014, 12:41

Gilliam's films are shat! Twelve Monkeys is his best by a mile - the rest are just f*ckin wierd cr4p. Snyder did a top job with Watchmen as far as i'm concerned. Definitely his best film.

• FBRBarnes72

Mar 5th 2014, 18:37

So damn glad the Gilliam version wasn't made. It was a wholesale re-telling, not a new ending, and that pretty much ruins the point of it. Snyder took the middle ground, and it's all the better for it. I still kinda miss space squid.

• GarthMarenghi

Mar 5th 2014, 23:02

Should retitle the article "Snyder Attacks Gilliam" rather than defends Watchmen. I've said this elsewhere online, but it's worth repeating - Gilliam has not said anything bad about Snyder's films. (Yet. He may feel like it after reading these insults.) Also, Gilliam rewrote the script for Watchmen, so the script everyone is complaining about isn't a true representation of what he wanted to film. Then you have to consider the fact that there is no ending that you could call Gilliam's anyway, because his final word on the matter was that he did not want to make it at all. If Snyder wants to have a go at someone, he should have targeted his ire (there goes his nice-guy image) at Joel Silver, who was the one who brought all this up anyway. He also wants Watchmen to be judged in context, in the sense that it was released in a pre-Avengers movie landscape. Conveniently failing to consider the fact that the Gilliam/Silver attempt took place in a pre-Batman movie environment, let alone a pre-X-Men/Dark Knight era. That needs to be taken into consideration. His job was to wrestle that massive comic into a two hour movie for a mainstream audience that had only seen Superman on the big screen. No small task, and one that would require massive changes to the text. For those slagging of Gilliam's output, I have only pity. It must be a struggle having such terrible taste in movies. If we were going to place their three best outings against each other, I would take 12 Monkeys, Brazil and Time Bandits over Watchmen, Man Of Steel and Dawn Of The Dead Remake any day of the week. And as for Gilliam's "weird cr*p"? I think the teenage boy's w*nk fantasy that is Sucker Punch takes some beating. As that is Snyder's only 'original' film to date that isn't based on a comic or some other film, that speaks volumes about his talents. (If he wants to take a pop at forehead-slapping 'It was all a dream" type endings, I say look at your own work, Mr Snyder.)

• Siban1982

Mar 7th 2014, 18:24

Gilliam, although great, hasn't made a good, blockbuster film in years. His Watchmen would've been a slave to studio demand and probably would've been released as a 12A. Snyder did a great job, awesome movie.