Zack Snyder will be completely rebooting Superman

“Don’t be a slave to the movies”

superman

Bryan Singer’s dreamy Superman Returns was as reverent as they come with regard to respecting the Richard Donner/Chris Reeves era of adaps.

For his new Superman, though, director Zack Snyder has revealed that he’s taking the opposite approach, with his movie assuming “there’s been no other Superman movies”.

Speaking with Hero Complex, Snyder says that he’s taking the Batman Begins approach to comic reboots with Superman, beginning with a completely fresh slate.

“Literally, the one thing that everyone can start to think about is that we’re making a movie that finally goes with the approach that there’s been no other Superman movies,” Snyder confirms.

“If you look at Batman Begins, there’s that structure, there’s the canon that we know about and respect, but on other hand there’s this approach that pre-supposes that there haven’t been any other movies.

“In every aspect of design and of story, the whole thing is very much from that perspective of respect the canon, but don’t be a slave to the movies.”

For more from Snyder, including what he says about his working relationship with Chris Nolan, head over to Hero Complex.

Clean slate? Or too late? Think Snyder's approach will pale next to Singer's? Drop your thoughts below...

Comments

Mar 17th 2011, 8:15

They don't need to reboot the theme tune !!

• Attila

Mar 17th 2011, 8:51

I always had a problem with Superman. He's just too super. Too good. Too 100% American, although he's an alien. But a fresh start seems to be the best thing to do. I guess there's a chance for a Superman with more depth, maybe even a dark side in some way. Let's see what Snyder accomplishes - "Watchmen" was really cool.

• willow138

Mar 17th 2011, 10:19

@Alil748 that made me chuckle. You are soooo right. Im sorry but are you serious TF "pale in comparisson to Singer's" Returns was utter s**te camp rubbish. Whilst that style suited the Reeve era it was totaly out of place in the 2000's. I am so excited to see what Snyder and Nolan come up with as I am an avid Supes fan. p.s. everytime i read Snyder all I think is Buffy

• ilikescifi

Mar 17th 2011, 13:46

Why do a clean-slate-reeboot when you have a well established awesome character with 50 years of history to draw from? Why waste all that storytelling time explaining all the bull s**t everyone already knows? So many origins movies coming out...in ten years time we'll look back at this as the boring-reality-esque era of superhero movies

• willow138

Mar 17th 2011, 23:25

because there is whole other side to supes that isnt shown in the camp movies and its about time we see it now thats why

• clearwriter

Mar 18th 2011, 2:25

Love the quote - "Don't be a slave to the movies" - excellent starting point. I'm now excited. And I feel the same way as Attila. Superman lacks that vulnerability of the other heroes and so I always felt a complete lack of tension in the films, although I love one and two. I have to disagree with not rebooting the theme tune. It's a classic, but the same philosophy ought to apply to the music...don't be a slave to it.

• xpialidoceous

Mar 18th 2011, 12:28

Drawing Batman into reality was a brilliant move made by Christopher Nolan. But please do explain to me how you can bring a character like 'Superman' into a realistic environment without raping the comic book origin? I loved the slightly 'romantic' feel to Richard Donner's original, I grew up with it, it's a classic nobody should ever touch, and calling it camp is hitting below the belt there Willow 138. I'll allow you to call 'The Quest for Peace' camp, and maaaaaybe the ending to Superman III (still gotta love Richard Pryor though). What Singer made of Superman returns felt like the product of a man who loves the source material but sadly didn't have anything new to add. Have to agree with ilikescifi: when Christopher Nolan rebooted Batman, he gave him an extensive origin backstory that Burton's original Batman only hinted at. But to 'reintroduce' Superman would be idiotic and a waste of pelicule (or digital disk space, whatever) and the viewers time. I'll give Snyder the benefit of the doubt, because he's proven himself to be an exciting visual storyteller - but I'm also preparing to have my 'Christopher Reeve' childhood raped by digital CGI trickery and a tormented, suicidal Superman.

• MadMatt

Mar 18th 2011, 15:18

Ali748 is spot on. You can change everything else about the character and the world he inhabits, but not John Williams' iconic work. It's absolutely impossible to improve upon - even Hans Zimmer has said so. It's like making a Bond film without the Bond theme.

• BruceShark

Mar 24th 2011, 17:58

Which ever way Mr Talentless Snidy-Snyder take this we all know this film is gonna suck monkey a*s.

• oldtimemov

Mar 24th 2011, 21:37

Another Re-boot? It seems Hollywood is in this mode of re-booting the super hero franchises. We have Daredevil talk, Superman, Spiderman, Batman, etc. What's next? I know that franchise reboots can make Hollywood easy money, but when does it become enough? Plus, how many times has Superman been redone?

• hood65

Apr 1st 2011, 17:33

BruceShark you clearly enjoy talking out of your a**e, you have absoulutly no idea how this will turn out, its got a good cast and Chris Nolan is involved. I am sick of this reboot horse s**t, reboot is the new trendy word for remake.