Zack Snyder talks Justice League

Says Man Of Steel must be acknowledged

Zack Snyder is one of many directors to have been linked with heading up Warner’s Justice League adaptation, and while that role has still yet to be filled, Snyder has some clear ideas about how the film should be cast.

While Snyder has previously asserted that Man Of Steelwon’t contain any teasers for Justice League, he does believe that the latter film will have to feed into the events of the former in order for it to make sense.

“I don't know how Justice League is going to be handled,” says Snyder. “But Man Of Steel exists, and Superman is in it. I don't know how you'd move forward without acknowledging that.”

Practically speaking, that would equate to Henry Cavill being cast as Superman in Justice League, which sounds like a good idea to us. Presumably, Warner will be wanting a sequel to Man Of Steel further down the track, and having two separate versions of Superman existing at the same time… well, it wouldn’t be the best idea.

Most interesting of all was Snyder’s coy answer when asked if his super-movie would fit into a larger universe:

“Um, how can I answer that? I can’t really say anything to that, because that’s a big spoiler. I will say, yeah, they trust me to keep them on course.” Sounds like we could be looking a superhero cameo (or at least a nod), in Man Of Steel.

At this stage there has been no firm casting whatsoever, nor the disclosure of any plot details, but let’s hope Warner listen to Snyder and get Cavill signed up ASAP. Justice League opens in the UK in 2015.

How would you cast Justice League? Tell us, below!

Comments

• andrewpaterson

Nov 26th 2012, 8:26

I know Christian Bale has said he is now finished with Batman, but wouldn't it be an electrifying movie with him back as Batman opposite Henry Cavill as Superman! That would be a movie I would very much want to see!

• BobTheSkull

Nov 26th 2012, 9:02

I dunno. I'm not sure I'd want the Bale Batman in JL. He's like a singularity... the dead centre of the universe created around him, feeding off everything around him. I just feel like it'd be a struggle to get the rest of the cast to have as much of the spotlight (and shine in it) as Bale. Plus Nolan made Bats 'too' real. I'd rather see a new Bats don the cowl to join Supes and co. If they start the DC connected universe with Cavill, Justice League might not die completely. Although, their main problem is that by establishing only Superman without giving at least 1 or 2 of the others their own origin films, they run the risk of JL being a Superman sequel with a supporting superhero cast. Marvel got it right as we were already very familiar with most of the characters from their own movies.

• ilikescifi

Nov 26th 2012, 9:21

I think George Clooney was by far the most credible Batman, they should get him back. Oh wait, I'm joking

• NickyC

Nov 26th 2012, 9:38

There's no way on this Earth you can introduce a new Green Lantern (last one was woeful although I thought Reynolds was well suited to the role), The Flash, Wonderwoman, Aquaman (who's rubbish anyway), a new Batman (Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be great) AND a villain that's both interesting enough for an audience to enjoy watching and bad-a*s enough to worry all of THOSE characters (you'd need a character with the power of Unicron and the charm of John Hamm!) ... in 2 or even 3 hours. Can. Not. Be. Done. Dark Knight Rises had too many characters and that wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. If they go ahead with this plan then Justice League will SUCK. The project needs a foundation and they don't have it.

• CaptainCrazy

Nov 26th 2012, 11:05

As long as the keep Armie Hammer away from Batman then I will be happy.

• Chufferstud

Nov 26th 2012, 11:08

I think Bale was a better Bruce Wayne than Batman and in the Justice League they should forget alter egos and just stick with the superhero. So there is scope for a new Batman. Cavill will HAVE to be in the Justice League for it have any credibility.

• alexr

Nov 26th 2012, 12:40

@Chufferstud Could that work? A team-up movie that ignores the alter-egos and focuses on the costumed characters? I personally don't see it working as there would be no anchor for audienced to connect with any unestablished characters, unless they get their own movies first. A new Batman and Supes are exceptions; we have already seen so many Batman origin stories, we don't need Bruce Wayne to ground him, while Superman is the reality and Clark Kent his fabricated disguise. Try applying that to Wonder Woman or Aquaman and it just doesn't hold up for me - I couldn't care less about either of them as I know next to nothing about them. And I wonder if the characters are popular enough in the current comic book climate for their own movies to be successful...?

• Monkeynuts30

Nov 26th 2012, 12:43

Chuffer has a good point; keeping a JLA movie focussed on the heroes rather than their alter egos does free up a lot of scope... now for the gripe. Stop the hating on Aquaman. Dude polices 70% of the world while the other thousand plus heroes only have to worry about a city most of the time and the larger world only when there's a big threat. Ok, rant done. Oh, and don't use Wally West. He's s**te compared to Barry Allen.

• marvelboy

Nov 26th 2012, 13:22

Warner Bros / DC take some advice from your fans on this forget the alter egos and origins and create a fantastic action film - look I've even created the starting block for you Villain - Brainiac or Doomsday Heroes - Batman, Flash, Wonderwoman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow . (no Aqua man, and only Superman if needed and if Henry Cavill plays him) Basic plot - world donation, the heroes are already established in their respective cites, they unite to over come this galactic threat (but no mention of a JLA or watchtower) Opening scene - Brainiac or Doomsday monolog how the earth is not superior and the so-called heroes of the world are weak, they then go one to name the heroes which provided a great introduction to the audience; IE "A man or steel ... A dark Knight ... An emerald archer... a warrior princess of the Amazon...The Scarlet Speedster... And the Power of Will"

• BobTheSkull

Nov 26th 2012, 14:26

World donation? Someone is giving away our planet? How dastardly!! ;P

Nov 26th 2012, 16:43

Warner Bros will never deliver a great JLA unless they emulate how Marvel planned The Avengers.

• jem0013

Nov 26th 2012, 16:56

After the good work Snyder did with Watchmen I reckon he could take on JL and deliver a hard-boiled realistic view point of the superhero universe. Continue with the Dark Knight, and the seemingly similarly felt, Man of Steel and we could have something quite special. As much as I enjoyed the Avengers for me it was still shot with tongue firmly in cheek and a bit too 'glossy'. Give us something with grit Mr Snyder, give us something abrasive Mr Nolan, give us something with a scrotum built like a blue whales and isn't afraid to hit the audiences with it DC/Warner Bros.

• jem0013

Nov 26th 2012, 17:04

...and why would DC want to emulate Marvels approach - people would just moan they;re copying. I reckon it could work the other way round - give the audiences a taster of the characters first and then flesh them out afterwards as prequels if they're well received in JL.

Nov 26th 2012, 17:31

I'll give you a couple billion reasons as to why.

• StevePotter

Nov 29th 2012, 1:28

Although I care very little for Superman, I take umbrage with the statement that Clark Kent is the fabricated identity. Superman was raised as Clark Kent! His personality developed as Clark Kent! HE IS CLARK KENT FIRST!