Zack Snyder talks Man Of Steel

Describes a more "serious version" of Superman

Say what you like about Zack Snyder's films to date, but 'overtly serious' probably wouldn't be the first description that springs to mind. However, that's what the filmmaker is aiming for with upcoming Superman flick, Man Of Steel.

Not that Snyder is planning a poe-faced character study. There will still be bucketloads of action. However, he seems to be taking a leaf out of nolan's book in asking, 'What if this guy really did exist?'

"It’s a more serious version of Superman," explains Snyder. "We took the mythology seriously. We take him as a character seriously. I believe the movie would appeal to anyone. I think that you’re going to see a Superman you’ve never seen before. We approached it as though no other films had been made.

"He’s the king-daddy," he continues. "Honestly that’s why I wanted to do it. I’m interested in Superman because he’s the father of all superheroes. He’s this amazing ambassador for all superheroes. What was it about him that cracked the code that made pop culture embrace this other mythology?

"What we‘ve made as a film not only examines that but is also an amazing adventure story. It’s been an honour to work on. As a comic-book fan, Superman is like the Rosetta Stone of all superheroes. I wanted to be sure the movie treated it respectfully."

Co-starring Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon and Russell Crowe, Man Of Steel opens in the UK on 14 June 2013.

What are you hoping to see from Snyder's film? Tell us, below!

Comments

• CaptainCrazy

Nov 13th 2012, 10:32

I seriously cannot wait for this film. I just hope WB is serious about this and not rushing it out to retain certain character rights.

• badger86

Nov 13th 2012, 11:30

I'm pretty excited, mainly for Michael Shannons Zod, that guy does intense like no one else. @CaptainCrazy I can safely say this is not a rush job, considering they have pushed it back over 6months from it's original release date (september 2012), also, they don't need to retain any rights, WB owns DC.

• ShakkaLakkaBoom

Nov 13th 2012, 12:20

@badger- they do! There's a dispute with the Seigal or Shuster family (or possibly even both). Jerry Seigal and Joe Shuster created Superman and the rights are/were/could be on the verge of passing back to their families. That said, I don't think that was the motivation for the film though. I think (note the amount of 'possibly's and 'I think's) there could still be a situation where there's joint ownership of the property so there might be a Warner version of the character and a Seigal/Shuster one too!

• SiMan

Nov 13th 2012, 13:33

Rights-Schmights, i just want to see a full trailer!!!! that comic con footage was ages ago. I think i might have to get myself the Blu-Ray boxset too. I've been thinking about the originals recently and i forgot how good they actually are (the first two anyway). Whenever great comic book films are talked about, it doesn't seem to get mentioned in the same vein as X2 and the Bat films, but i'd say that it is just as good as any of those films. THe tone of it is perfect, and i hope Snyder can get that almost-epic story-telling feel this time too and the score has a lot to live up to. Not just the Superman theme, but the whole score throughout is immense - i love the music when clark finds the crystal in one and returns to the fortress in 2 to regain his powers. Like i said - epic! I hope the CGI doesn't ruin this film either. I don't want to see any Matrix style, over the top scrapping. Shnyder has a lot to live up to. Although i was initally worried about his directing syle for this, i'm starting to get really excited.......Bah, bah-duh-bah-duh-bah-duh-duh!

• SiMan

Nov 13th 2012, 13:42

(that wasn't the main theme i was doing by the way....it was the intro to it which gets used at the beginning of two mainly........i just read it back and realised most people would think i was typing gibberish notes that don't make the Superman theme..............and now you're all going to think i'm a loon fo typing an explanation to it)

• writerdave87

Nov 13th 2012, 15:04

It's time for your medication Siman :p

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Nov 13th 2012, 17:29

I predict Snyder serious version means Supes with stubble and Lois Lane dressed as a school girl

• FBJRider

Nov 13th 2012, 20:18

I'm looking forward to this film, if the trailer is anything to go by it should be decent. It could go either way with Zack Snyder I suppose. His top films are mixed, 300 and Sucker Punch were some of the worst films I've ever seen but Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead were both fantastic especially Dawn, it's one of the best zombie films out there. The problem with Superman is he's too powerful, comic book films work best portraying heroes as more like normal people who can be injured and killed whereas Superman can do pretty much anything and can only be killed by a very rare item so there aren't many threats to him.

Nov 14th 2012, 0:04

The Comic Con trailer was awesome.

• alexr

Nov 14th 2012, 11:11

@SiMan Are you sure it's not "Bah, bah-bah-bah-Baaah-dah-dah-duh"?