Zack Snyder to direct new Superman

Watchmen helmer taking on the Man Of Steel

Superman

Superman finally has a boss, with Watchmen director Zack Snyder confirmed as the lucky director selected to take on the Chris Nolan-produced Man Of Steel reboot.

Which means we can finally stop speculating over which of the numerous rumoured directors will actually get the job – though, admittedly, we’re slightly disappointed we won’t be seeing Darren Aronofsky’s stab at the material.

It’s not difficult to see why Snyder landed the gig, having proven he can take on ‘impossible’ projects by successfully translating Watchmen to the big screen.

“I’ve followed Superman over the years,” Snyder tells EW. “I wouldn’t say I was a huge devotee, but I’ve kept an eye on the character in the pop culture, and as the pop culture has regarded him, for the past 10 years, especially. I think there’s a real opportunity here. He’s in the perfect place to do something.

“Think of where Batman was when Chris took that on earlier in the decade. I think Superman is in a very similar place, in terms of being available and in terms of his relationship to where the culture was at that time. Superman is right there. He’s ready. And can I be any more cryptic?”

Meanwhile, THR report that David S. Goyer’s script could be similar to Richard Donner’s Superman, with General Zod as the main villain. At present, though, that much is pure speculation.

Snyder sure knows how to helm a killer action scene, and he’s got style in heaps, but where he generally comes up short is in emotional connection. It seems Warner Bros. have picked a guy who’s the complete opposite of Bryan Singer. Let’s just hope Snyder can find Superman’s heart at the same time as making him look hella cool.

Super news? Or superbad? Tell us below...

In cinemas this week…

Comments

• higgins78

Oct 5th 2010, 10:01

That dalidab1982 is seriously good casting...with the possible exception of Jamie Bell as Superman. Honestly though, after some brilliant names were discussed as who may direct this newest Superman to see Zack Snyder finally be attached, I have now lost nearly all interest. Singer's Superman Returns may have had flaws BUT it could have surely done with a sequel in retrospect that X-Men 2 was for that franchise. Singer for sure deserved another shot rather than cast a Director with a portion of his talents. Farewell Superman...

• adidan1978

Oct 5th 2010, 11:11

seriously are you guys for real! The best comic book adaption of all time made successful and your knocking the man who made it. People are entitled to opinions but yours are just wrong! This has the chance of actually having action which all previous superman films have failed to do. Its time to bring it on and finally have the last son of krypton kick a little a*s

• garysimps

Oct 5th 2010, 12:26

Love the choice, think Synder can really pull this off. Lets hope that Goyer only does the outline of the story and that Nolan and his brother get invloved with the script. Id say give Brandon Rotuh another shot as Supes or Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jackie Earle Haley as Lex Luthor. Safe bets as they both worked with Snyder in Watchmen. Would love to see Doomsday but can't see that being done straight away; no to Superboy either please! And how can Synder bring the film in and it not be an 18; WB will have majors issues with the film being anything higher certificate than a 12A which could mean that Snyder wont have the flexibility he had with 300 or Watchmen. Cant wait to see a slow mo into a fast mo of Supes taking off anf gathering speed in the air though-vintage Snyder but it'll work well. Where do I queue?

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Oct 5th 2010, 13:02

oh dear, pointless franchise meets over hyped director, Watchmen 2 here we go, bye supes

• Rusco87

Oct 5th 2010, 13:32

Its kind of two ends of the spectrum. Nolan and Goyer fronting the idea and Zack directing. I can see this going down a Sin City path for some reason. I think people are looking for a Dark Knight style resurrection for the man of steal, and thats definitely not what Zack is like.

• MadMatt

Oct 5th 2010, 13:59

Bye bye John Williams, hello My Chemical Romance. Bugger.

• TheDMeister

Oct 5th 2010, 17:36

Snyder certainly came up with the good with Watchmen but Superman needs to be something smart and emotional. I say it's pretty much impossible to come up with a cast for Superman but the fact that Nolan is producing and it's been written by a Nolan associate suggests it's in the right hands. The only things I would encourage no to is firstly no to General Zod; Smallville has just done a brilliant season 9 with him as the villain and plus Superman 2 was awesome with Terrence Stamp as the lead. No need to go there again. The most important thing fundamentally is for Snyder to finally get rid of his annoying tendency to use the slow-mo button too much. Watchmen wasn't as bad but 300 was nearly unbearable. If he gets rid of that then we're good.

• BennettsVest

Oct 5th 2010, 18:09

Here we go with the endless Zack Snyder bashing. I love how all the little armchair directors come out to have a go at someone for having a distinct visual style. Correct my if I'm wrong, but isn't film a visual medium? Zack Snyder is perfectly suited to Superman, who let's be honest here, is a ridiculous character. Snyders much criticised use of slow motion would be entirely appropriate for Supes' perspective at super-speed. Sorry all you slo-mo haters. Another issue is the constant harping on about how Nolan should be directing the film. If he actually wanted to direct the f*****g film I'm sure he would! I really believe that some people out there would only be happy if Nolan just directed every single film made from now on. The truth is, Superman is just too many steps away from reality for Nolan. His Batman works because he is a character grounded in reality. Superman is most certainly not. He is a character with less character dimentions than his costume has colours, therefore no complexity for Nolan to get his teeth into. Snyder doesn't have that problem. I thought he did an excellent job on Watchmen, and have enjoyed every one of his films because they are pure, unapolagetic entertainment. That is what Superman needs to be. He is a larger than life character who needs to face larger than life problems. Therefore not the organised crimimals of the Nolan Batman films, or the quite frankly s**t real estate scams of the Donner/Singer films. And for everyone who wishes Aronofsky had gotten the job, have a read about what he was going to do to Batman. It f*****g stank. At the end of the day, Snyder doesn't need to prove himself to anyone. If you're all so convinced of Christopher Nolan's godhood, why don't you trust his intuition now? Nolan has picked Snyder, deal with it. p.s. Dalidab1982 - every time I read one of your witless, nonsensical, and occasionaly downright stupid comments, my faith in the survival of humanity slips that little bit more. Your casting was c**p too.

• higgins78

Oct 5th 2010, 18:16

BennettsVest, your long winded essay on why you have it so spot on where others seemed to have tripped up all falls out the window due towards your foul unnecessary language. Also, the real estate scams hold water because while Luthor is a supposed "criminal genius" he was after all raised towards that direction due to his background.

• BennettsVest

Oct 5th 2010, 18:31

Oh really higgins78? My argument falls out the window because of my use of foul and unnecessary language? I was unaware that I was dealing with such sensitive individuals. Apparently you're only a fan of long winded essays if they agree with your own particularly narrow point of view. Much like everyone else on this forum I will continue to express my opinions in whichever manner I see fit. I am a fan of Snyder, you are not, something we may just have to try and live with.

• BennettsVest

Oct 5th 2010, 19:37

Well, to think that I actually came back on line to apologise to you dalidab1982... I was very harsh on your opinions, some of which upon reflection aren't too bad. So once again I'm sorry about the stupid comments I made about you. However, you have gone WAY over the top with your response. Do you really wish death upon me for leaving a stupid comment and disagreeing with your opinions of a film? You have seriously crossed a line by threatening my family, that is a truly idiotic reaction to what is generally supposed to be a good natured discussion. I made a similar error regarding my comments to you, which I am sorry for. But not for one single moment would I consider wishing that you would die, or worse, that your family would die too. I truly hope that the comments you made were on the spur of the moment. Films, regardless of how big a part they play in your life, should not be an excuse for me to belittle you, or for you to threaten myself or my family. I hope this comment gets through to you, and I look forward to us having many enjoyable discussions in the future. I call truce.

• BennettsVest

Oct 5th 2010, 20:12

@dalidab1982 That was an extremely nice apology and I'm truly thankful. I can understand your reservations about Snyder, he's certainly not everyone's cup of tea! I just think that Superman is an incredibly difficult character to get right, and Snyder stands just as good a chance as anyone, and should at least be given the chance. That's an excellent call on Gilliam though, I'd love to see his Superman!

• Area51

Oct 5th 2010, 20:24

if you don't kiss - it's not gay........ anyhoo Watchmen showed what Zack Snyder was capable of after the slightly cringe-worthy 300. Barrowman?! FFS! I totally get the Zod point, so many more baddies to use, just like Batman but look what Heath Ledger did with The Joker..... for what it's worth: My cast joseph gordon-levitt as Clark Kent/Superman. Tom Cruise as Jor-El. Ellen Page as Lois Lane. Michael Cera as Jimmy Olsen. Michael Keaton as Perry White. Bill Murray as Lex Luthor. Russell Crowe/Daniel Craig as General Zod.

• Rusco87

Oct 5th 2010, 21:24

I think it's just wait and see from here on out. I like zack and his style. but in terms of a superman film Im not to sure. I keep wondering to my self will it be set in the present or will it be set in the 50s or 60s.

• Seedorf

Oct 5th 2010, 21:57

I don't think Nolan chose Snyder at all. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised. It's a little to convenient that he is also WB's golden boy, to be also Nolan's choice. This is too important for WB for anyone else to get the gig really. Studios tend to stick with the tried and tested when it comes to their biggest franchises.

• Area51

Oct 5th 2010, 22:32

ha ha! dalidab1982 - at least you relented a little on the Barrowman idea!!! i suppose my choices are (inserts cliche) mostly Leftfield but I think all our choices are bound to be better than what is eventually picked!!! FF....oops ;-)

• BennettsVest

Oct 5th 2010, 23:41

Gerard Butler for General Zod! ;-)

Oct 6th 2010, 1:44

Zack's a good choice, he'll bring the right blend of action and emotion to the movie. I only hope they give Brandon Routh another shot, he done a great job in Returns.

• KingofSpain

Oct 6th 2010, 12:08

@Area51 - Keaton as Perry White would be inspired casting! The pros for Snyder outweigh the potential cons in relation to this movie. Larger than life and visually stunning? Superman ticks the boxes there. Bending time and space? Hell yes. The more exciting prospect for me is that the odds of Jon Mann becoming the Man of Steel may have just shortened and I am glad for that. Snyder worked with Mann on his latest flick Sucker Punch so who knows. Mann was born to play Superman, and it would be great to see him also sink his acting chops into playing Clark Kent. Carrie-Ann Moss for Lois was also a good shout and given her age would probably complement Jon Mann.

• garysimps

Oct 6th 2010, 12:43

is anyone else wondering that all the people whop have posted on this forum are having better casting ideas than the studio. mix in a bit of everyones choice and we are there-loving ellen page for lois lane although i heard natalie portman might be in the frame. think she could do a good job?

• Area51

Oct 6th 2010, 13:05

but she's on Thor now isn't she. Cheers to both garysimps & KingofSpain - i love the idea of him being an older superman. i heard an earlier rumour that a sequel would have Superman as some sort of world weary anti-god. like when he turns in superman 3 although i agree with KingofSpain, Routh just isn't big enough now. If they do go for someone older they may go for Hamm, or even Nic 'I'm mad as a truck' Cage. Also, if Nolan is on board as producer, we'll probably get Michael Caine as Perry White!!! But they will probably look for someone younger to make it a new franchise so it won't even be a sequel!?! I wouldn't put it past them to cast that plank of wood, Taylor Lautner!!!

• Seedorf

Oct 6th 2010, 14:27

If they are going to do an origins story, I don't see how they can avoid that, given it's a reboot, surely an older actor won't be considered. And if an older actor is considered, what the hell happened in the years from Superman first appearing, to when the older actor comes on the the scene. How would that work? How could it be made to work?

• KingofSpain

Oct 7th 2010, 12:26

I don't understand why we would need an origins story - it's one of the most universally renowned tales in the planet. Plus an origin story (or lack there of) was not the reason Superman Returns flopped. I would like to see the movie kick off all guns blazing, curious Lois getting herself in the midst of some mob skullduggery in a pulsating 10 minute opening sequence (should be no problem for Snyder ;) until a caped figure in the shadows deals with the bad guys and out of the shadows Hamm is revealed, suited and booted, to save his old pal, and they have a quick laugh and joke about it. Simples!

• Area51

Oct 7th 2010, 16:03

ha ha! KingofSpain that's well cheesy!!! It needs to be like Iron, subtle clues etc. like Captain America, Thor etc. Actaully make it cool. Michael Sheen is an excellent call dalidab1982. They may take it's cue from Smallville - and take the reboot all the way back to school/college days like the new spiderman. I tell you who would be good as Zod, Alexander Skarsgard, from True Blood.

• dalebiskit

Oct 8th 2010, 18:08

I'm in a glass rhombus of emotion!! Fair enough, some find stronger language a little too much for their tastes. However, it is called 'language' for a reason and BennettsVest used it appropriately. As we can all see, expletives are automatically censored (although "Night**tch" is going a little far). Which begs the question: shouldn't there also be measures to curb unhinged nerds with a delicate grasp on decorum (not to mention grammar and punctuation) when they make death threats?

• Area51

Oct 9th 2010, 21:09

dalidab1982 you do get worked up! i want you to email me your top ten rants!!! ha ha! ;-) ok back on the film, as requested. Not many people have actually suggested a Superman, rather the villains! I suggested Joseph gordon-levitt rather hastily but has anyone else got any suggestions??

• Area51

Oct 9th 2010, 21:17

dalidab1982 you do love a barney don't you! please email me your top ten rants! ha ha! ;-) Has anyone noticed the lack of actual suggestions for actors to play Superman??!

• Area51

Oct 11th 2010, 0:10

dalidab1982 i was being serious but don't know how to send personal details over without putting them here direct?! Jamie Bell, JGL, Jon Hamm, what about tom welling? he's lasted enough seasons?

• dalebiskit

Oct 12th 2010, 16:34

dali: It's blatantly obvious I that I was referring to you, so don't hold out hope that I wasn't. No one else has overreacted in such a loopy fashion to such unimportant matters. BennettsVest disagreed with you, admittedly a little aggressively, but in a measured way. You retaliated by calling him a bully, then implied in a derogatory fashion that he was gay (which is neither relevant nor any of your business), called him a d******d and suggested that he - and his family - f**k off and die. Then you chose to post a further derogatory comment suggesting that he is mentally handicapped (again, irrelevant, none of your business and very unclassy), followed by another death wish. Now, who is the bully? The best advice I can give you, when you read something that you don't like, is to take a deep breath, calm down and respond rationally. You'll find that people will disrespect you for your abysmal choices, not for your lack of self control. Also, learn to punctuate correctly and find out the meaning of 'tautology'. Unless you meant to inform (threaten?) me that I was flying low and should keep my mouth shut. As for your second comment directed at me, you certainly have done something wrong, regardless of whether you apologised for it, or whether it was addressed to me. It's up there for all to see, so if it's posted in a public forum, expect a public debate about it. As for casting: I've never really liked Tom Welling. I think he's rubbish as Clark (in fact Smallville has been heading downhill since about S2) and using him would only turn the film into 'Smallville: The Movie', which I can only imagine would be awful. I liked the idea of the Hamm of Steel, but he might be a little too old little and too dashing for the Clark scenes. Jamie Bell: way too young and just an awful choice. Would be good-but-probably-underused as Jimmy, though. JGL would be good, but he looks too young and doesn't he have a fairly small build? So an unknown is probably the best bet, like Routh was. He was pretty good in 'Returns' but using him again would just make it a sequel/prequel rather than a flat out reboot.

• Area51

Oct 13th 2010, 0:09

What about the stereotype that gay people are classier and have better taste??! Barrowman?! I'm sorry, dalidab1982 I just can't get that out of my mind! ha ha! ;-) dalebiskit is right about some of the choices. It is a shame it didn't work out for Routh or that he isn't being discovered now. What about Ryan Gosling for the actor's choice and Channing Tatum for......well, I don't know, he's a plank of wood but he's built like a brick s**t-house, he's american and he just about has the power to learn his lines.....they could do worse. Remember Dean Cain...... ? ;-)

• Area51

Oct 16th 2010, 15:47

Hollywood is soooooo lazy! Ryan Reynolds or as I like to call him 'ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz' is everyone's choice for a superhero. Chris Evans?! I mean FFS sorry, but come on, I've seen Hugh Grant act with more gusto when he's passed wind. They need to expand. Example: The Green Lantern. Yes the film could be good even though the trailer is s**t - but the point is they have thought out of the box and gone for seth rogen as opposed to every lantern jaw f******d they seem to pull out of the bag every five mins. We need to think of the actual fan of comic books, the people who will fund the box office. i actually liked Watchmen, i think he will be a good for the film. personally i would of loved david fincher or michael mann to do a batman or superman film. but thats by the by. if they reboot, then it has to be unknowns although the winning formula for batman films has always been the celebrity villain.............

• Area51

Oct 17th 2010, 13:16

dalidab1982, whilst it's cool that you've come out on here etc. i'm sure dalebiskit & BennettsVest are not avoiding you, they just think the superman subject has died a death and it only seems to be us talking about it now! ha ha! I was a little angry yesterday wasn't i! my email: keitht**tt@yahoo.co.uk

• Area51

Oct 17th 2010, 18:56

sorry dalidab1982 - two letters: w & a

• Grinch11

Nov 23rd 2010, 10:58

Ok - he made me believe an owl could fly (why did I ever doubt that?), and now he'll have the task of making you believe a man could fly. The best news is that The Nolans (not them) will be writing the script. So marrying the visual orgasm of a Synder film with the "stimulaction" of a script from The Dark Knight boys should see this one really take off!!